Here’s a fun project for the kids if they’re getting bored with being sheltered in place. Have them enter the Contra Costa Water District youth art calendar contest. There will be 12 winners, one for each month. They are looking for art that best illustrate the importance of water in your life. Winning entries will be published for the 2021 calendar. The 12 winners will also each win $50 gift card.
HEY KIDS! Challenge yourself to learn about your public drinking water system. The best entries will be those that that illustrate:
• How you and your family use tap water
• How your community uses tap water
• How you use tap water efficiently
• Where your tap water comes from
• How your tap water is treated
THINK ABOUT IT… How would your life be different without tap water?
Did you know that Contra Costa Water District provides water for more than 500,000 people? On average, we treat nearly 40 million gallons of water per day to be used for drinking and washing, growing lawns and food, filling swimming pools and putting out fires.
Here are some some water facts to help you get those creative ideas flowing for your calender entry.
• Tap water costs about a penny per gallon.
• Tap water is required to meet strict health requirements to ensure it is clean and safe to drink.
• About half of all residential water use is outdoors.
You can get more fun water facts at the Contra Costa WEP Water Resource Corner Online. Go to https://www.ccwater.com/568/WEP-Resource-Corner
The contest is open to children ages 8 to 18 years who reside in the Contra Costa Water District service area, which includes Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Clayton, Clyde, Concord, Martinez, Oakley, Pacheco, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Port Costa and Walnut Creek.
• Entries must include the child’s name, age, address, a parent or guardian’s name, email address, and a phone number.
• Entries must be drawn by children. Please, no help from parents, adults or older siblings. • Entries must be drawn horizontally on a single 8.5-inch by 11-inch piece of paper.
• Entries must be hand drawn. Acceptable mediums include pen, pencil, crayon, chalk, charcoal, marker, paint, or watercolor.
• If your entry is selected as a winner, you grant Contra Costa Water District a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to:
• Use the artwork in its calendar and other print publications.
• Use the artwork in its internal and external communications, including, but not limited to, websites, advertising, presentations, and printed and digital materials.
• Use, in connection with the contest, the artist’s first name, city of residence and age. Winning artwork will be credited in the calendar with the artist’s first name and city.
• Retain a digital copy of the artwork.
• Entries must not include trademarked or copyrighted materials.
• Entries must not promote the use of bottled water.
• Entries will only be accepted between 8 a.m. March 16, 2020, and 5 p.m. May 31, 2020.
Each winning entry receives a $50 gift card to an art supply store; your original artwork framed with a certificate of appreciation; and a printed calendar.
Prizes will be awarded at a Board of Directors meeting in the fall, when calendars are printed.
Winning entries will be announced in June.
HOW TO ENTER
Submit your original artwork on a single, horizontal 8.5-inch by 11-inch piece of paper. Submit by mail or in person the original, unfolded artwork to:
CCWD Calendar Contest 1331 Concord Avenue Concord, CA 94520
Entries must include a separate sheet of paper that lists the child’s name, age, address, a parent or guardian’s name, email address, and a phone number. This allows us to contact you regarding your submission. Digital reproductions of original artwork will not be accepted.
Contra Costa Water District will screen all entries based on message, merit, creativity and originality.
Finalist entries will be posted online for voting. Contra Costa Water District, with community input, will select 12 winning entries.
For more information about this contest, visit ccwater.com/calendarcontest.